Bob has been a family law litigator for 35 years, including 25 years as a certified specialist. He has served in the role of representing the petitioner, respondent, mediator, Judge Pro Tem, arbitrator, and referee in almost every type of family law dispute. Many times, these matters involved real estate, business, trust and estate, and tax issues.
Over the last 15 years, approximately one-fifth of his practice has been serving as a private judge for settlements and trials in Sacramento, Placer, Dorado, Yolo, and other Northern California counties. As a result, he has gained a reputation as a knowledgeable, effective, fair adversary, and neutral.
One attorney commented, “Bob has a reputation for being honest, smart, compassionate, and practical. He doesn’t have a false ego and genuinely wants to help people resolve their disputes. Regardless of the complexities of a matter, nothing seems to daunt him, he has a big picture style that keeps everyone focused on resolution.”
- Specialist in Family Law and experienced in complex corporate, business, real estate and tax issues
Bob has been involved in all types of family law cases over the last 40 years. The following experience is from his background as a litigator and neutral.
Hobbies & Interests
Bob is a member and past president of Valley Hi Country Club. Member of Laguna Creek Racquet Club. He plays a lot of golf, tennis, and enjoys hiking. He is trying to get back into flyfishing.
"O'Hair did a great job explaining the pros and cons of my client's position in a way that felt like she had been heard. She felt like she got her day in court and was ultimately satisfied with the result, even though it was not exactly what she had hoped for. Excellent job balancing the cost-benefit approach to this issue."
- Attorney on a Family Law case
"I have found that diverting family law matters set for trial to Bob O'Hair results in a compromise resolution that leaves my clients feeling that they received a fair outcome and saved the stress and expense of trial. Bob is very effective at making all parties feel heard and ready to move forward with the law being considered and applied as to their claims."
- Partner at a Family Law firm
• Numerous mediations of complex property division cases involving multi-million dollar Pereira/Van Camp issues, the value of businesses, and in some cases which party should continue running the business.
• Mediation of control and community value of large farming operations.
• Mediation of support cases with issues of income available for support and large fluctuating incomes.
• Private trial and mediation of both the validity and interpretation of pre-marital agreements.
• 14-day trial over the interpretation of a Marital Settlement Agreement that had divided several businesses.